The Pacific Coast Masters Curling Association (PCMCA) was formed to foster competitions for daytime curlers aged 60 and above. The association is for curlers living in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island.
Annual competitions are held to determine four PCMCA Zone winners. Zone winners advance to a combined provincial championship with the four Zone winners from the BC Interior Masters Curling Association (BCIMCA).
The primary purpose today is to promote the sport of curling through fun and competetive events both at the Club level and the Provincial level for curlers aged 60 and above.
Covid restrictions are finally behind us and we now have all the Zones reporting turnout is great for the start of the season. There is even a possibility that membership could be up slightly. Everyone is excited and I see that most of the bonspiels have been set. Please note that this year for the first time we will have playdowns for five categories. If you have any news that you wish to post, please advise. We need to take advantage of a growing website as more of our new members lean towards technology.
April/ 22 We welcome three new directors Zone 1 Paul Malnarich, Claude Latulippe Zone 2 and Clyde Mitchell Zone 3. The members re-elected the President and elected Bruce Lonsbery as the new vice-president. The appointed two officers are Deane Crutch as Treasurer and Mike Toller as Secretary.
- PCMCA Executive
Last week was our first in person directors meeting was held since Covid began. The new directors finally had the opportunity to meet at the Tunnel Town Curling Club and open the season with Zone updates. I am pleased to announce that the board approved to add stick curling as a demonstration event for the March 2023 Combined to be held in Chilliwack. Please contact your Zone reps for further details, since this will involve an additional category to the playdowns.
April 8th /22
The last directors meeting was held April 7th which was a lively 4 ½ hours mostly consumed by discussion on the potential of amalgamation with the BCIMCA, inclusion of the Ladies for another year and the development of stick curling. President Lawrence
- Zone 1 - Lower Island
- 60+Playdowns in (double knock out)
17th Draw 1 Men Angrove 6, Beggs 5
McFarlane - Bye
20th Draw 2 Men McFarlane 6, Angrove 0
Women Findlay 8, Foster 5
Derry - Bye
22th Draw 3 Men Beggs 8, Angrove 4
27th Draw 5 Men McFarlane 7 vs Beggs 6
60+ Mens Champions.... Wayne McFarlane, Lawrence Woytowich, Andy Jarzebiak, David Giles
27th Draw 4 Women Derry 4 vs Findlay 10
Mar 1 Draw 5 Women Foster 9 vs Derry 0
Mar 2 Draw 6 Foster 6 vs Findlay 5
Draw 7 Foster 8 vs Findlay 1
60+ Womens Champions; Barbara Foster, Kelly Meikle, Susanne Grundison, Lorrie Bell-Wiles, 5th Joni Leduc
- Zone 2 - Fraser Valley
- Zone 2 of the PCMCA is also known as the Fraser Valley Masters Curling Association (FVMCA). It is the name it had when it merged into the PCMCA.
The Zone 2 leagues play at the curling clubs of Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Cloverdale, Mission, Delta, Haney, Langley and White Rock (Peace Arch).
The Over 80 Zone bonspiel was hosted by Peace Arch Feb 19th and 20th and was won by the Dennis Sherwin rink (Chilliwack) with Terry Bodman (3rd), Ken Strueby (2nd) and Stan Fleck (lead).
The 2021-22 Zone 2 Champions are:
Over 60 Guy Philp Trophy - Team Hockley (Chilliwack)
Over 70 Graham Donaldson Shield - Team Hambly (Abbotsford)
- Zone 4 - North Island
- Posted Feb 21/22
The 2022 Zone 4 PCMCA Playdowns were cancelled. The teams that were registered were not interested in proceeding once it was decided that the Combined for this season would be cancelled. It is our hope that all will be able to take part next season with renewed vigor. Nanaimo CC has a new PCMCA rep, Muir Meredith, who is assuming web input for Zone 4.
Posted Nov 19/22
The PCMCA Zone 4 Playdowns have been posted under Zone Events. These events have been posted at your local curling club. Please see your PCMCA Representative for further information and applications. Note that the application deadline for all events except Mixed is December 31, 2022. The Mixed deadline is February 21, 2023
- Duncan Curling Club
- The PCMCA members at the Duncan Curling Club curl in the Duncan Seniors Select League.
- Abbotsford Masters Curling League
- Masters curling in 2021-22 startup date --- Monday, September 27. The very successful Abbotsford Masters Bonspiel completed on Nov 12. The winning team was the Knutson team of the Chilliwack Masters Curling League. The members were Dale Hockley, Russ Knutson, Rick Jones and Vic Miller.
Historically severe rainfall on Nov 12-15 resulted in flooding at the club. Three pumps were damaged beyond repair and the ice was lost. Restoration of the ice is not expected until early December. The Senior Mixed Bonspiel on Dec 3 remains on the clubs schedule.
- Chilliwack Masters Curling League
- The Chilliwack Masters Curling League consists of two distinct leagues, Monday and Wednesday. The 2022/23 Chilliwack Masters Bonspiel was held October 14 - 16 and the winning team was the Nixon team from Langley. Congratulations Craig and team.
- Langley Masters Curling League
- Langley Masters started their leagues on September 29, 2022. We have out of hat league that runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a Team of Choice that runs on Tuesdays. Membership is down slightly from last spring.
Langley wishes all curlers a fun filled season.
- Peace Arch Senators
- Peace Arch Senators will commence their Fall 2022 league Sept 18th. We have two draws on Mondays and Wednesday mornings. Sign up for one day or both. See you in September https://sites.google.com/site/pasenatorscurling/
- Marpole Curling Club
- Contact Gary Sutcliffe email@example.com for Masters Curling Fridays 10AM or Elaine Wass Elaine_wass@hotmail.com if interested in Daytime Ladies Tues or Thursday 9:30 AM
- North Shore Masters
- The North Shore Masters league curls at the Royal City Curling Club in New Westminster.
- Richmond Curling Club
- The Richmond Curling Club has installed ice and has started league curling. Please see their website for details - richmondcurling.com
The Wednesday Drop-In League started September 28 and the Friday league started on September 30. Both leagues finish in December and start up again in early January.
- Tunnel Town
- Tunnel Town Masters curls twice weekly.