The Pacific Coast Masters Curling Association (PCMCA) was formed to foster competitions for daytime curlers aged 60 and above. The association is for curlers living in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island.
Annual competitions are held to determine four PCMCA Zone winners. Zone winners advance to a combined provincial championship with the four Zone winners from the BC Interior Masters Curling Association (BCIMCA).
The primary purpose today is to promote the sport of curling through fun and competetive events both at the Club level and the Provincial level for curlers aged 60 and above.
Our PCMCA AGM was held on April 19th @ 7pm and resulted in a good turn out. Although in person meetings are more friendly and offer a good venue for meeting new directors, Zoom has certainly enabled us to hold more meeting at reduced costs.
We welcome three new directors Zone 1 Paul Malnarich, Claude Latulippe Zone 2 and Clyde Mitchell Zone 3. The members re-elected the President and elected Bruce Lonsbery as the new vice-president. The appointed two officers are Deane Crutch as Treasurer and Mike Toller as Secretary.
Special Announcement: Cliff King has received an Honourary Life Time Award for over 10 years of service to PCMCA.
I wish you all a warm and healthy summer and hope that you will be returning to the ice in the fall.
- PCMCA Executive
April 8th /22
The last directors meeting was held April 7th which was a lively 4 ½ hours mostly consumed by discussion on the potential of amalgamation with the BCIMCA, inclusion of the Ladies for another year and the development of stick curling.
Our Treasurer Deane Crutch was asked to fill in as a skip in a league game. The reward was scoring an 8 Ender.
Most of the respective playdowns to recognize qualifiers in all four categories have been completed. Since our crests were already purchased directors have awarded them to the winners. Some of the Zones are posting pictures and results.
- Zone 1 - Lower Island
- 60+Playdowns in (double knock out)
17th Draw 1 Men Angrove 6, Beggs 5
McFarlane - Bye
20th Draw 2 Men McFarlane 6, Angrove 0
Women Findlay 8, Foster 5
Derry - Bye
22th Draw 3 Men Beggs 8, Angrove 4
27th Draw 5 Men McFarlane 7 vs Beggs 6
60+ Mens Champions.... Wayne McFarlane, Lawrence Woytowich, Andy Jarzebiak, David Giles
27th Draw 4 Women Derry 4 vs Findlay 10
Mar 1 Draw 5 Women Foster 9 vs Derry 0
Mar 2 Draw 6 Foster 6 vs Findlay 5
Draw 7 Foster 8 vs Findlay 1
60+ Womens Champions; Barbara Foster, Kelly Meikle, Susanne Grundison, Lorrie Bell-Wiles, 5th Joni Leduc
- Zone 2 - Fraser Valley
- Zone 2 of the PCMCA is also known as the Fraser Valley Masters Curling Association (FVMCA). It is the name it had when it merged into the PCMCA.
The Zone 2 leagues play at the curling clubs of Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Cloverdale, Mission, Delta, Haney, Langley and White Rock (Peace Arch).
The Over 80 Zone bonspiel was hosted by Peace Arch Feb 19th and 20th and was won by the Dennis Sherwin rink (Chilliwack) with Terry Bodman (3rd), Ken Strueby (2nd) and Stan Fleck (lead).
The 2021-22 Zone 2 Champions are:
Over 60 Guy Philp Trophy - Team Hockley (Chilliwack)
Over 70 Graham Donaldson Shield - Team Hambly (Abbotsford)
- Zone 4 - North Island
- Posted Feb 21/22
The 2022 Zone 4 PCMCA Playdowns were cancelled. The teams that were registered were not interested in proceeding once it was decided that the Combined for this season would be cancelled. It is our hope that all will be able to take part next season with renewed vigor. Nanaimo CC has a new PCMCA rep, Muir Meredith, who is assuming web input for Zone 4.
- Duncan Curling Club
- The PCMCA members at the Duncan Curling Club curl in the Duncan Seniors Select League.
- Abbotsford Masters Curling League
- Masters curling in 2021-22 startup date --- Monday, September 27. The very successful Abbotsford Masters Bonspiel completed on Nov 12. The winning team was the Knutson team of the Chilliwack Masters Curling League. The members were Dale Hockley, Russ Knutson, Rick Jones and Vic Miller.
Historically severe rainfall on Nov 12-15 resulted in flooding at the club. Three pumps were damaged beyond repair and the ice was lost. Restoration of the ice is not expected until early December. The Senior Mixed Bonspiel on Dec 3 remains on the clubs schedule.
- Chilliwack Masters Curling League
- The Chilliwack Masters Curling League has two distinct leagues in 2021-22 (Monday and Wednesday). Startup on Monday, Sep 20 and Wednesday, Sep 22. The Chilliwack Masters Bonspiel was held Oct 15-17, The winning team was the Chilliwack Masters Curling League team of Bill Icton, Dale Paul, Ed Korbeld. and Jerry Wernicke.
- Langley Masters Curling League
- The Langley Masters completed a successful year with a couple of draws of fun games and a banquet/AGM on Tuesday March 15th.
Langley hosted the Zone 2 inter-club March 16 to 18 with the Dale Hockley team from Chilliwack the eventual winner.
The Day of Campions saw the first half winning team of Sid Clarke defeat the second half winning team of Nigel Easton to claim the overall Master Championship.
Langley Masters wishes everyone a safe and fun summer and hope to see everyone in the fall.
- Peace Arch Senators
- Peace Arch Senators will commence their Fall 2022 league Sept 18th. We have two draws on Mondays and Wednesday mornings. Sign up for one day or both. See you in September https://sites.google.com/site/pasenatorscurling/
- Marpole Curling Club
- Contact Gary Sutcliffe email@example.com for Masters Curling Fridays 10AM or Laura Rampton firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in Daytime Ladies Tues or Thursday 9:30 AM
- North Shore Masters
- The North Shore Masters league curls at the Royal City Curling Club in New Westminster.
- Richmond Curling Club
- The Richmond Curling Club has entered into a new partnership with the City of Richmond while still providing curling programmes and services at this site. The ice plant is currently being replaced with a planned curling start-up in
January 2022. As a result the Richmond Masters Bonspiel normally held in November is cancelled for this year, 2021.
In January 2022, the Richmond Curling Club announced it would not reopen for curling until September 2022. For the balance of 2022 the PCMCA members will have the option to curl at the Marpole Curling Club.
- Tunnel Town
- Tunnel Town Masters curls twice weekly.